Monday, November 23, 2009

First Week at Home

Well... we've been home for a week now and I know many people have been looking for updates and want to know how it's going.... all I can say is IT'S GOING ... it's been a little crazy and each one of us has/is having adjustment issues but each day gets better and at this point that's all we can hope for! Many of the blogs I read talk about everything being great and fantastic and kids adjusting and attaching quickly ... I'm not sure if I would say our first week has been fantastic but the boys are doing as well as can be expected after having been home for only a week and Stephen and I are learing to function with little to no sleep some days and we are getting to know one another and beginning to be a family.

Some low points of the week:
- Stephen had to return to work on the Monday after we got home
- the boys are NOT sleeping for long periods of time and are often awake and ready to go at 4am!
- Roman screams and cries any time he has to go nap or go to bed
- Roman being terrified of our 2 dogs and screaming any time they come near him

Some high points of the week

- hearing the boys giggle through out the house
- hugs and kisses from Roman and Max
- they boys playing together
- Roman learning to like Happy and Lucy and not cry or scream when they are in the room.
- taking the boys for a walk in the double stroller

A few pictures from our first week:


Playing with Papa

brothers together

look who can climb the stairs

playing in the yard together

look who is patting Lucy!

watching football with Mama and rooting for the best team EVER!!!

I would say the first week at home has been rough ... I'm not sure what I expected but the reality was VERY different than anything I could have imagined!! However, each day is getting better ... we are getting used to each other and becoming a family and getting into a routine together ... now if we could only get them to sleep just a little longer in the mornings ... I know, I know ... welcome to motherhood!!!

8 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Christine! It's an adjustment for each of you and just when you think you're at a breaking point, they will look at you, touch you or say something that will melt your heart.

We hope for you that their time clock starts to adjust and they sleep in a tad more! No sleep for Mama and Papa makes for a challenging day.

Keep hanging in there and thanks for the update and photos of adorable boys!

~Laura :)

Melissa said...

The boys look great. So happy! It does take time and anyone who says otherwise doesn't quite understand. The boys, and both of you, have gone through a lot. When Mike and I brought Colby home I thought everything would be wonderful. For the most part, it was, but it was a huge adjustment. And we continue to adjust everyday. I hardly remember outr first month, we were both sick and in a daze I think. It took about a month to find a routine that fit us. But it came, we had great moments and some not so great ones. You are doing great. Someday soon you will realize that the boys know you are Mommy and those hugs and kisses will keep you smiling!
Melissa

Beth said...

SO glad to see the update!! I love the pictures the boys look great and they look like they are having so much fun. Oh the sleep, I figure I can catch up with my sleep sooner or later. I find if I know Mattie is tired and will not settle down a ride in the car always works the trick is carrying him in so he will stay asleep.

Hang in there and enjoy the Holidays!!!!!!

Beth and Mattie

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine! I am glad you posted an update! yes.....'expecting" a baby (via preg or adoption)....well.....you long for the baby so much.....and then it (he/she/they come FINALLY) and its HARD and an ADJUSTMENT!!!!! Babies and children are 'romaticised' I think! but they are hard work! But totally worth it of course! The adjustment period has its tough moments....I know and keep REMINDING myself that.....sleep deprivation is the worst in my opinion......but...my SW says it takes about 6 months and then everything feels 'settled'.....so it sounds like you guys are doing great (considering all the big changes!) and I am so happy for you and your beautiful family!!!!! I hope you all get sleep soon!
:) :)
Nancy (from resolve)

Anonymous said...

Christine,

Congratulations. Don't think you have to pretend everything's perfect. Our kids are close in age like yours (ours are 16.5 months apart) and we brought them both home at the same time. The first weeks, we were ALWAYS exhausted! I can never ever fall asleep unless it's totally quiet, I'm in my bed, and it's bedtime and I was falling asleep with my legs dangling over the arm of the couch in the middle of the day!

It'll get better. SLOWLY but surely.

Michelle (minibus from the R board)

Jeff and Dawn said...

Welcome home!! The first few months are hard as everyone is adjusting. Once you all get into a good schedule...it's smooth sailing. If it makes you feel any better the first few weeks I wondered if I was going to be able to make it. Just go with the flow and these hard times will be long in the past. Laura said it best....use those little moments of warmth to get you through the tough times. They boys look happy and very healthy. Gotta love the "fat" baby home. Take care and feel free to call and have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Dawn

Troy and Rachel said...

Adjustment is the hardest thing and your hubby going to work right away had to be tough too - mine did the same thing!! Hang in there and tackle the issues one at a time! The boys look happy and great!

Nadine said...

Hi Christine! It is great to get an update and see you all in your element. No doubt it has been a big adjustment, I am hoping the routine kicks in soon. You make such a beautiful family!

They sure look happy for short sleepers! Take good care, and know that there is a lifetime of happiness in front of you!

I promise there are stirring moments ahead...times that your boys touch you so deeply that you feel your heart will burst...and you will hardly remember the adjustment period!

My best to all of you!

Nadine